Tuesday, November 3, 2020

Setting Goals

Sometimes I feel like carving in stone all my goals to make them official. Other times I think it's a bit of a wasted exercise or at best, not worth the small effort. Instead, I've usually chosen to "just do it" and focus on playing and studying and let the achievement milestones come when they do. In this post, I'll bite the bullet and lay out what I want out of chess.

Short-Term (next ~6 months)

  • Continue spaced repetition work with 1001 Chess Exercises for Club Players (Erwich). Currently about 12% through the book. My goal is to complete the entire book in one day. 
  • Continue spaced repetition work with Practical Chess Exercises (Cheng). Currently about 1/6th through the book. My goal is to complete the entire book in one day. 
  • Get a record of 100 classical games since June 2020 when I started my rigorous tactics-training.
  • For study time, focus on equal parts Openings : Games/Analysis : Tactics. This mainly means focus more on openings because I've lacked in that area. Begin building a repertoire (i.e. experience) with the Sicilian as black. I'm bored of the caro-kann and want more fireworks in my games.

Mid-Term (1-2 years)

  • Play more OTB games to get a non-provisional Classical Rating. Pre-requisite: Help my buddies at Pfizer find a vaccine for COVID-19.
  • Join a weekend tournament out of town.
  • Get over 1600 USCF.

Long-Term (slightly before death)

  • Reach over 2000 USCF. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

My SECOND OTB Tournament Experience!

Allright, it's time for another tournament! Six months since my last one, no thanks to a certain variant of a certain virus which shall ...