Tuesday, November 10, 2020

My Chess History

File this in the "No one cares, bro" section. This is primarily for myself and as I'm making a more concerted effort in training and improvement, I thought it'd be helpful to track down as many "major events" in my chess-playing past.


A brief rundown of my chess playing history

SOMETIME 2002 High School, Sophomore Year - Saw Searching for Bobby Fischer, bought a chess set, a few books like Chess for Dummies, Josh Waitzkin's chess book, Bobby Fischer Teaches Chess (don't get this book), a handheld chess game, ChessMaster 4000 for PC (maybe 5000?), etc. I spent more time buying stuff and half-assedly using it than time on practicing and playing. Lost interest after less than a year and zero serious improvement aside from learning terminology and basic knowledge.

SOMETIME 2017 - For whatever reason, Facebook started putting chess videos in my news feed--usually GIFs of old famous games--and it reminded me how much I liked the game. I downloaded a bad app to play chess against a computer and a friend or two before finding r/chess, John Bartholomew, and eventually lichess.

OCT 2017 - Created lichess account. I remember playing that fall and winter but really slowing down in the spring and summer since I had other outdoor hobbies that took up a lot of time.

APR 2018 - I went to the St Louis Chess Club for the US championship. As mentioned, I slowed down quite a bit in the summer but it ramped up again in the fall.

AUG 2018 - Went to sinquefield cup. I think around this time, my chess interest started taking off quite a lot more. I started playing chess seriously this whole time now without taking breaks in the next summer.

APR 2019 - US Open again, by 2019, I'd say I was fully into chess as a major hobby

AUG 2019 - I went to Sinquefield cup yet again.

FEB 2020 - Started "Tuesday Knights" Tourney and joined USCF. I was able to play six rated games before COVID-19 put an end to that.

APR 2020 - Started trying to play a more focused repertoire as black: Caro and Slav. 

JUL 2020 - Completed 1001 Chess Exercises for Beginners in one day. Focused on doing tactics (nearly) every day since then.

SEP 2020Started 1001 Chess Exercises for Club Players

NOV 2020 Switched black repertoire to Sicilian.

MAR 2021 - Played in first weekend OTB tournament; won 3/4 games, best finisher U1500 and tied for first in AMATEUR (U1800) section; rating jump to 1391. Also began focused work on Yusupov's Series of books.

JUL 2021 - 75 hours of deliberate chess study in one month.

AUG 2021 - Played 75 blitz/rapid games in one month

SEP 2021 - Reached 2500 puzzle rating on chess.com

SEP 2021 - Played in my second weekend OTB tournament (indy), won 4/5 games and tied for second in Novice (1300-1600) section. Rating up to 1509

NOV 2021 Played in my third weekend OTB tournament (kansas), won 3/4 games, rating up to 1531 (still provisional, but highest ever)

JAN 2022 Played in my fourth weekend OTB tournament (STLCC club championship), won 2/4 games, withdrew final round. Rating down to 1482

MAR 2022 Played in my fifth weekend OTB tournament (Mid-America Open), played up a section, went 1 out of 4 and withdrew final round.

MAY 2022 Played with the chesterfield group at mcdonalds. Lost and drew a game.

MAY 2022 Played



No comments:

Post a Comment

My SECOND OTB Tournament Experience!

Allright, it's time for another tournament! Six months since my last one, no thanks to a certain variant of a certain virus which shall ...