Thursday, December 5, 2019

Weekly Chess Schedule

In a recent Perpetual Chess podcast, J.J. Lang mentioned an example of a 15 hour per week schedule for chess study for the 1500 rated-player.

J.J. Lang's Recommendation

6 Hours on Openings - Lang says don't spend six hours memorizing things. For the 1500-rated player, you moreso want to get a grasp on general ideas, plans and resulting pawn structures.

3 Hours on Endgames - This will be some memorizing of certain endgame techniques but also some study of techniques new to you.

3 Hours on Hard Tactics - The problems that you spend ten to twenty minutes per tactic!

3 Hours on Easy/Medium Tactics - Better for pattern recognition and morale as well.


* * * * * * * * * *

This got me thinking that I need a slightly more structured approach. I don't do well with extreme structure but I came up with a generalized plan that'll still allow for my own customization depending on what I feel I need to work on any given day. My plan at least serves as a guideline to ensure I'm covering the main areas of study every week.

My Plan
I'm fortunate enough to have some free time at work to tackle a lot of this stuff. I like to spend time with my partner during the evening so it's hard for me to spend hours and hours at night studying. I think having a defined schedule will help me better fill out my free time at work. I'm not good at following extremely specific schedules like "Do 1000-1200 tactics for 45 minutes on Wednesdays" and "Practice 2 pawns vs 1 endgames for 75 minutes on days beginning with a T." Instead, I'll set it up so each weekday gets a different area of study and I can choose on that day how to fill the time.

Monday - Openings

  • Review my chess openings spreadsheet. Find some I haven't studied yet and learn about the general plans. Find youtube videos/articles on any given opening and take notes.
  • Find 10 exemplary master games in those openings (use Lichess) and study them.
  • Chess Structures by Flores.
  • Pawn Structure Chess by Soltis.

Tuesday - Endgames

  • Go over notes from Silman's Endgame Course and practice those things on a board. Do tests at the end of the chapters.
  • Chess Endgame Training by Rosen.
  • Capablanca's Best Chess Endings by Chernev.
  • Practice endgame positions on Lichess's board editor. 
  • Review my excel spreadsheet of pawn opposition positions (see "Building Blocks for Opposition" blog entry). 
  • Use the Chess Endgame Training mobile app.

Wednesday - Tactics

  • Work to mix in tactics nearly every day.
  • For 'hard' tactics, complete the five free chess.com tactics every day. Minimum 10 min/puzzle.
  • One hour of ChessTempo puzzles. 
  • Winning Chess Exercises for Kids by Coakley.
  • Woodpecker Method by Smith and Tikkanen. 
  • Practical Chess Exercises by Chang. This supposedly has tactical and positional puzzles.
  • 5334 Chess Problems by Polgar.

Thursday - Strategy

  • Review notes on Amateur's Mind by Silman. Work on the 25 tests in the back of that book. 
  • Reassess your Chess by Silman. 
  • My System by Nimzowitsch.
  • Can you be a Positional Chess Genius? by Dunnington. 
  • Annotated Master Games--play through books. 
  • Chess Structures by Flores.
  • Pawn Structure Chess by Soltis.
  • World's Most Instructive Amateur Game Book by Heisman.


Friday - Game Analysis

  • Analyze my games from the week.
  • Play through master games with annotations. 
  • Kasparov v Karpov
  • Games of the Young Grandmasters
  • Understanding Chess Move by Move by Nunn
  • Any other books recommended in this blog entry.



No comments:

Post a Comment

My SECOND OTB Tournament Experience!

Allright, it's time for another tournament! Six months since my last one, no thanks to a certain variant of a certain virus which shall ...