Tuesday, November 5, 2019

Fall Update

Due to a run-in with /r/chess involving me mindlessly posting a link to copyrighted material, I've decided to remove all book notes from my blog. I've saved those posts as drafts so I can still review them when I see fit but I don't want them out in the ether. This blog isn't widely viewed but I don't want the wrong person seeing it and reporting any posts with copyrighted material in it--even if it's just a diagram or verbatim quote.

Beyond that, I've taken a short 1-2 week break from playing a classical game but I did get my rating up to 1721. I'm about to embark on the Lichess4545 and Lichess Lonewolf Leagues so that'll absolutely force me to play games over the next six or eight weeks. I have a game tonight in the Lonewolf league (I think it's 30+30 time control) and then tomorrow I play my 45+45 game. I'm seventh board on the team.

I plan on getting ready by doing some mate-in-two problems from Polgar's 5334 puzzles book. I hope to analyze some of my slow games from these leagues on this blog. In fact, today I came up with a spaced repetition method for that book since they are all pretty simple and straightforward patterns.

Spaced Repetition on 5334 Chess Problems
I've been going through the book slowly at work. The book is massive and it's broken into:

306 mate-in-one problems
3412 mate-in-two problems
A few hundred mate-in-three problems
600 miniature games, etc

I've gone through all the mate-in one problems and ~150 of the mate-in-two problems. I want to set up a system of review such that:

1) I go through, say, 500 problems once
2) Go back over those same ones a second time, keeping an eye on time. Any problems that take longer than 20 seconds, I will write down and review later before my next cycle through.
3) Keep cycling through until I feel confident I can do the problem set in an average of 5 seconds per problem.

1 comment:

  1. Still working on the Polgar book? I am on it currently. It's my Mount Everest

    ReplyDelete

My SECOND OTB Tournament Experience!

Allright, it's time for another tournament! Six months since my last one, no thanks to a certain variant of a certain virus which shall ...